Fun Facts About Computer Programming
When most think of coding, fun probably is not a word that comes to mind. Coding has come a long way in recent years and is much more user and kid-friendly. We want to help get you and your child excited about coding, all the things you can create with it, and where it can take us.
Here are some basic and fun facts about coding that you may not know.
Basic Coding Facts
We are including this list of basic coding facts to give you a better understanding of what coding is and how it is used:
- Coding is essentially a list of instructions for the computer to follow: think of a recipe or an instruction manual.
- People take everyday language, turn it into code, which is the language computers understand, and then computers perform the function to make our daily lives easier. Examples of this are phones, tablets, computers, watches, machines, and cars. This list could go on for a while, but this will give you an idea.
- Almost everything powered by electricity uses some form of coding.
- People who code are referred to as coders, programmers, developers, computer scientists, or software engineers.
- Computers use a language called binary that consists of 1s and 0s, which can be confusing to humans but thankfully, coding languages help make it easier.
- There are “low-level” and “high-level” languages. Low-level languages are more confusing and resemble binary, but high-level languages resemble human language and are easier to code in.
- Think about learning to code as learning a new language like Spanish (with symbols and letter you know) or Chinese (with symbols you have to learn).
- High-level languages are more popularly used today.
- An example of a popular low-level language is C, which is used for graphic-heavy applications like game development.
- Perl is sometimes referred to as the “swift-army-knife” of coding because of its versatility.
- Most coding languages use similar basic features.
- A program is a text file written in a coding language; think of it as an instruction manual.
- There are many ways to get started in coding, like games, apps, books, courses, and bootcamps.
These are the top 15 Fun Facts About Computer Programming. We hope this gives you a good idea of what coding is, some basic functions, and what coding is used for. Coding is involved in more ways than we can even imagine in our modern world, and the sky’s the limit.
If your child can imagine it, they can create it through computer programming.
Check out UCode’s coding courses designed for any skill level, caters to a broad age range, and teaches a variety of languages. Our live interactive courses will give your child the structured fun learning environment they need to thrive.